Proxy Client for Onion
Tunnels your network requests through a Tor's SOCKS5 proxy server and hides your IP address
What is Proxy Client for Onion?
"Proxy Client for Onion" is an Edge add-on that improves user privacy by hiding the real IP address. It safely tunnels network requests through a local SOCKS5 proxy server that's only available when running the Tor executable. Additionally, it blocks WebRTC IP detection to prevent IP leaks, allows dynamic proxy configuration changes, and permits requests for new identities. For it to function, a NodeJS native client is required, serving as a bridge connector that enables the extension to run Tor.
Whenever you need to hide your real IP address, press the action button to start the official Tor executable in the background and configure your browser to tunnel network requests through this Tor client. The extension configures your browser's proxy settings to tunnel the entire network requests through a local SOCKS5 proxy server. This server is available when the "Tor" executable is running. This extension also blocks WebRTC IP detection to prevent your real IP address to leak.
- Improves the user's privacy by hiding the real IP address
- Dynamically changing the proxy configuration of your browser only when active. Changes revert when the extension is not working.
- Configures WebRTC to not reveal private IP addresses when the extension is active. This is an optional feature.
- It is possible to request a new identity (new IP) right from the extension whenever needed.
- There is no conflict with other running instances of Tor (like Tor Browser). This extension uses its unique communication port.
Notes: For this extension to run the Tor executable, you will need to install a NodeJS native client. This is a bridge connector to allow the extension to execute Tor. You will get a notification on the first use to install this native client.
Please read FAQ #1 on the homepage of the extension to prepare the extension to use the Tor executable. For now, the Tor bundle is prepared for Mac OS and Windows. On Linux, install the tor as usual and set the path on the options page.
Proxy Client for Onion may not be safe to use and it requires some risky permissions. Exercise caution when installing this add-on. Review carefully before installing.
Proxy Client for Onion has earned a fairly good reputation and likely can be trusted.
Here are some Edge add-ons that are similar to Proxy Client for Onion: